Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Future Atlantes Part I

I made a module to plot locations of where, around the world, there would be the greatest probability of inundation with an onset of rising sea levels.

My simple algorithm:

Select all cities which have Coordinates and Elevation; use those to create a rule with the following format: Coordinates->Elevation (in this part of the code, I highly suggest that you reverse the coordinate points since it's given in (latitude, longitude) or (y, x) when you need (x, y)). Then, create a module which accepts the rule as its one and only parameter.

In the module:
Make the argument and make it a list. Then, using an if statement, assign an empty list to itself except Appended the cities with a sea level of under 10 meters. Else, do Null.

Out of the module:
Map the module with the rules of all cities' Coordinates->Elevation. Then, plot the points on top of the plotted world map (I recommend using the "Polygon" property of CountryData).

The Map:



Credits: CityData[], CountryData[], Map[], Graphics[], FreeQ.

Part II: When I get some more time, I'll post up the final, stunning update!

No comments:

Post a Comment